Who We Are
SCWDC is a large group of active life-lovers. We started as a ski club and expanded into many other sports, social and cultural activities. When we set out to run an event, we set high standards, train our leaders well, solve problems if and when they occur, and deliver a quality experience. We seek feedback from our participants, to see if we met their expectations. We are currently in an evaluation period as a new set of officers were elected in April, 2013 to serve for the next twelve months. We continue to serve our members and guests with this motto in mind, “Nobody Does It Better.”
TAKE ADVANTAGE OF WHAT WE OFFER!
COME JOIN US TODAY!
- How to join: Click the Join, Renew, Review button on the left column or click here.
- Our membership year used to run from "May 1 to April 30", a fixed period, but due to a recent bylaws change, we now will offer 12 months of membership starting from the month that you join. As of April 2013, we are in the process of implementing this for those who recently joined. If you join today, you will receive 12 months of membership.
Ski Trips are our most important product:
- Fifteen Western and International trips per ski season – for trip details, click on Western/International ski trips in the menu on your right. Click here to see an example of a past trip to Park City, we go there every year
- Nine trips in the Eastern USA, from one-day trips to week-long vacations (some with instruction included) – for trip details, click on Eastern ski trips in the menu on your right, down the page (this link will be active again near the end of August 2013). Click here to see an example of a past trip to Timberline, WV, we go there every year
Why can we offer such a selection?
- We are the largest ski club in the area, with about 1600 members
- As of January 2011, we had been around for 75 years. During 2011, we held many anniversary events to celebrate our continuous success and joy for life
- Our club is the only one featuring a ski school with certified ski and boarding instructors - see our Eastern trips that include ski or board instruction at no extra charge, of any ability including beginner, ages 13 and up, for two weekend trips (Canaan Valley and Timberline) and four one day trips to Ski Liberty and Roundtop
- Two of our trips are sponsored by the Blue Ridge Ski Council, the mid-Atlantic association of 22 ski clubs, that spans Richmond to northern Maryland. These trips can involve up to several hundred skiers on the same trip. Your SCWDC membership qualifies you to go on any other BRSC club's trip and be able to pay the member price, no guest fee. More info on BRSC and web link on our Western/International page
What else do we offer?
- Tennis, sailing, sailing instruction, golf, volleyball, softball, hiking, rafting, biking, parties, wine-tastings, crab feasts, beach trips, restaurant outings, theater, concerts, book club. We sponsor a 20-40's special group, Gen X/Y, for the younger members
- We get together once a month for a social meeting (usually the first Tuesday of the month), then a happy hour on the third Thursday at various locations around the Beltway.
- You can come up with your own original ideas. A Caribbean cruise, heli-skiing, nine-day Bike and Barge in the Netherlands and Belgium, a late spring 2011 trip to Iceland, were all recently suggested by members
How can you stay in touch?
- This website (www.SCWDC.org) lists all our scheduled activities...last minute changes to event plans are posted on the web
- The Ski-o-Gram, a weekly e-mail, lists activities planned for the next few weeks...Register for Skiogram
- Monthly social meetings year-round, most of them at the Crowne Plaza hotel in Crystal City
- One of them is a July pool party in McLean, with food and drink provided to our members
- We hold a 'Ski Fest', a roll-out of next season's ski trips in early September of every year. The 2013 event is scheduled for September 14 at the Holiday Inn, Crystal City
- We publish a magazine every two months which identifies events...for you and to show your friends and get them involved
What is your next step?
- Click here> Join/Connect with SCWDC< to join the club, and take advantage of everything we have to offer!