On April 17, you elected me as the next president. I want to convey a few thoughts to everyone in this short article. I joined the club in the early 90s participating in our tennis program. I was soon introduced to a tennis week-end trip at which I volunteered to help with a planned party. The rest is history! Volunteering to lead or help a leader has been a constant role and, I might add, an enjoyable one. It was a way to have even more fun and meet more people, than just attending.
So my approach is this:
1) We need “you” our members – you are talented – skilled and experienced – to continue to volunteer.
2) I will strive for “transparency” between leaders and the membership. What that means to me is, focusing on specific goals, explaining why we are or are not doing something, and communicating effectively. This is a “membership” club...you choose to belong, and I want you to have many reasons to continue to belong.
3) “Communication” is a big area – our magazine, website, weekly ski-o-gram, special announcements via “EventBrite”, membership meetings, and so on. I would like to review each of these areas, seek out member comments, and be sure that we are communicating effectively. So bring your ideas to membership meetings or other forums that we announce. See my email address below, you can write me with your ideas.
4) I want to state my belief about growing membership. My own first priority is to retain members that we have now. In other words, do activities meet your needs, are they fun, what could be different if they aren’t? If you, the current member, is happy and enjoying a particular activity, I think you’ll be talking about that to friends and in turn that might lead to their decision to join the club.
5) I want to promote the club in this spirit: “We are the best.” We have the best planned trips, and the best trained leaders who conduct events in a friendly, efficient way, and we apply pretty quick fixes when something doesn’t go right. I am planning my administration to live up to that Carly Simon recorded song, “NOBODY DOES IT BETTER.”
I’d like to meet many of you at our monthly membership meetings in north Crystal City (directions are placed in every membership meeting event). I know the spring and summer months are busy ones, but I hope you’ll come to a least one between May and August, to meet me and other board members.
I would like to offer you an e-mail address which will come directly to me. Let me have your ideas, suggestions and comments. It will be “ JUST BETWEEN YOU AND ME” (alias) …the email address is Madeline_M@verizon.net.
Capital Ski & Ride SCWDC Meetup
Gen X/Y Happy Hour: Look Ahead, Look Alive!Wed 5 Jun 6:30pm
We currently have 1626 snowsliders!
Wednesday, 22 May 2013
Membership MeetingsUpcoming Meeting(s)
Upcoming Eventsby Category
Beaches & Resorts (2)
Casual Hikes (10)
Chesapeake Bay Sails (14)
Dinner Outings (1)
Happy Hours (2)
Potomac Sails (35)
River/Water Events (2)
Sailing Instructions (1)
Spectator Sports (6)
Tennis Outdoors (14)
Tennis Parties (1)
Tennis Sunday Instructional (1)
Tours & Festivals (3)