Want to enjoy walking the outdoors but are not ready for the challenges of long hikes over rough or steep terrain? Prefer a more social experience while strolling along gentler paths and trails? We have the right "Casual Hikes" for you: They are from 4 to 6 miles and are easy to moderate in difficulty. We visit parks and woodsy trails as well as popular urban sites within a half hour drive from the metropolitan DC area. No need to be in top physical shape, but you should be able to walk at a brisk pace for 2 to 3 hours with some hills, depending on the hike.
Most hikes take place at 10 am on Saturdays unless the schedule denotes a special time.
- Members and guests may participate.
- All participants are expected to be self-sufficient...dress according to anticipated weather, bring water on hot days, etc.
- For safety purposes, dogs are not allowed on hikes.
- All hikes are free; however, there may be fees for carpooling and/or entry to some parks.
- In the threat of inclement weather, please call hike leader to confirm that the hike is still on.
We are looking for new hike leaders and hikes! If you would like to be a leader or have any questions about the hikes, please contact our Casual Hikes Coordinator.
SCWDC, a Club for All Seasons