Event Calendar - Date List
- Whitewater Rafting on the Lower New River
- Fri Jul 20 - Sun Jul 22
- River/Water Events
WHITEWATER RAFTING + ZIPLINE + OTHER ACTIVITIES LIKE ROCK CLIMBING, MT BIKING, BRIDGE WALK
OR PAINTBALL OR THE OPPORTUNITY TO SIGHTSEE IN THE LOCAL AREA
Dates: July 20-22 (Friday - Sunday)
Total Price:Depends on lodging and activities selected, select from list below.
Full payment by check (payable to SCWDC) for lodging, rafting, and optional activities, in advance. Talk to the leader if you have questions. This is a great adventure, so just ask questions about your interests. If a partner doesn't want to get into a raft, that can be accomodated, there are lots of sight-seeing possibilities in the area, including a coal mine (Beckley Exhibition Coal Mine), the Tamarck Welcome Center ( Art Galleries; Specialty Museums; Flea/ Street Markets; Specialty Shops), to visit.
1. Cabin Lodging Options: $312 lodging and meals only; $434 with rafting. Lodging includes air conditioning, full kitchen, choice of double amd single beds, for singles and couples.
2. Camping Options: $102 camping and meals only; $224 with rafting - ROUGHING IT AT IT'S BEST! It's a beautiful West Virginia sky, no lights of the city to obscure the night time viewing. Do you have an unsed telescope to bring?
3. Sunday Additions: Add $95 Canopy/Zipline, choice of "Tree Top Canopy" or "Gravity/(very fast zip line)."; and other activities which include Rock Climbing, Mountain Biking, and Paintball; or Bridge Walk Sunday activities are optional and each takes 3-4 hours. It is necessary to schedule and pay for each activity in advance. The earlier that you sign up, the better the placement for a start time on Sunday.
- Zip Line (1) Tree Top or (2) Gravity (faster, crosses the river) $95
- Rock Climbing: 1/2 Day, $66
- Paintball: 2 hours, $55
- Mountain Biking: 1/2 Day, $66
- Guided Bridge Walk over the New River Gorge, $74
?? and what does this mean? The longest single span arch bridge in the Western Hemisphere; The third highest vehicle carrying bridge in the United States; The second longest single arch bridge in the World. It is an incredible, once of life-time experience to walk across the New River Gorge Bridge walk-way.
4. Meals and Happy Hours included.
- Friday Night cookout, everything provided by the leader.
- Saturday and Sunday morning breakfast at Smokey's Restaurant.
- Saturday Happy Hour provided by the leader.
- Saturday dinner at Smokey's.
(If rafting, Saturday lunch on the river is included.)
Your only meal cost is Sunday lunch or snack after the morning activity, on the way home.
IT IS IMPORTANT TO SIGN UP EARLY SO THE LEADER CAN MAKE RESERVATIONS FOR EACH ACTIVITY - THERE IS LIMITED AVAILABILITY AND VARIOUS START TIMES FOR ALL ACTIVITIES. RESERVATIONS MADE EARLY, GET THE BEST ARRANGEMENTS. A LATE SIGNUP MIGHT MEAN THAT YOU LEAVE THE SITE LATE, AND GET HOME LATE! SIGN UP IN MARCH OR APRIL FOR BEST ARRANGEMENTS.
- THE ABOVE PRICES ARE FOR SCWDC MEMBERS OR BLUE RIDGE SKI COUNCIL (BRSC) - OTHER CLUB MEMBERS.
- IF GUEST WISHES TO JOIN THE TRIP, ADD $25 NON-MEMBER FEE TO THE CABIN OPTION OR $7 TO THE CAMPING OPTION.
- A SINGLE SCWDC MEMBERSHIP COSTS $45 - RUNS MAY 1 TO APRIL 30, AND THIS IS OUR MEMBERSHIP SEASON.
Location: Lansing, West Virginia - 5-6 hour drive from DC - try to arrive by 6PM on Friday to enjoy happy hour and 7PM dinner. Carpooling is encouraged by using the participant list, but this is an individual decision. The leader does not arrange carpools.
Leader:Lisa Hedrick - phone and address information (click the link for contact info)
Outfitter is Class VI Mountain River Tours which has been in business since the late 1970's, The business gets excellent reviews from participants, read for yourself at their web site. This is the second year that SCWDC has planned this trip. Last year, most participants chose rafting on Saturday and the Zipline on Sunday, and arrangements allowed most people to leave for home by 4pm. Sign Up Early!
Cancellation: Cancellations must be submitted to the trip leader in writing. Before 06/05/12, the cancellation fee is $40.00. Any participant whose cancellation is received after 06/05/12 will be responsible for all unrecoverable expenses plus the $40.00 cancellation fee. A participant who cancels after 06/05/12 will be replaced only if the trip is full and after full payment is received from a replacement. Participants who cancel will be replaced in the order of cancellation and may not designate their replacements. Participants having any questions regarding this policy should contact the trip leader. Note: the trip goes on rain or shine, unless cancelled by the Tour Operator.
The outfitter provides safety equipment, instruction and guides for all activities. You should be ready for both best conditions and rainy conditions. Read the brochure below for advice.
DOWNLOAD THE COMPLETE TRIP INFORMATION PACKAGE: 11-page Brochure (includes all of the write-ups below)
THIS IS ONE EXCITING TRIP! COMBINATION OF RAFTING + EITHER ZIP LINE OR ONE OF THE OTHER ACTIVITIES
Whitewater rafting at it's best. With a guide in every raft on the Lower New River, instruction is provided at each major rapid as you float and paddle through the New River Gorge's Class I through V white water (on a scale of I to VI). Known as the Grand Canyon of the East.
- Please be aware, that less athletic participants can choose the Upper New River run, which is less challenging, less involved.) (BOTH TRIPS "GO", RAIN OR SHINE, UNLESS CANCELLED BY THE TOUR OPERATOR.)
Zipline - Tree Tops Canopy Tour or Gravity Tour (Sunday)
Close your eyes, lift your feet, lean back in your harness and feel the adrenaline course through your veins! Hear the zzzziiiipping noise of the trolley carrying you down the cable and feel the wind in your face. This three hour adventure touches all your senses and creates unforgettable memories as you soar through a network of cables from one tree platform high above Mill Creek to another! Tree Tops Canopy Tour is for all ages and abilities. ...The Outfiltter takes full safety precautions, so this is exciting but very safe.
- Note for repeat participants: a second Zipline has been constructed, the "Gravity" line, it is faster and crosses the New River, so you have the option of trying the second course.
Deluxe Cabin Lodging: 3BR with hot tub and air-conditioning (click link for more info)
Camping: Mountain State Campground (click link for more info)
Dining Choices: Three Restaurants (click link for more info) - all but the Saturday lunch meals are provided - but when rafting on Saturday, lunch is provided on the river.
Directions to Lansing, WVA (click link for more info)
IF YOU HAVE READ DOWN TO THE BOTTOM OF THIS EXPLANATION, AND YOU ARE INTERESTED BUT "NOT SURE", CALL THE LEADER FOR MORE INFORMATION. LISA IS VERY EXPERIENCED, SHE HAS RAFTED WITH THIS OUTFITTER FOR MANY YEARS, AND SHE WILL HELP YOU MAKE UP YOUR MIND WITH FACTS AND HER OPINON, IF YOU ASK.
(click on the venue name for a map with route description)
- Class VI Mountain River Tours
- 1 Ames Heights Road
SCWDC, a Club for All Seasons